Trump hush money trial to start March 25, judge denies dismissal request


A combination photo shows Adult film actress Stephanie Clifford, also known as Stormy Daniels speaking in New York City, and U.S. President Donald Trump speaking in Washington, Michigan, U.S. on April 16, 2018 and April 28, 2018 respectively.

Reuters

A New York judge on Thursday said that jury selection in the hush money trial of former President Donald Trump will begin March 25.

The judge denied Trump’s request to dismiss charges in the case.

Trump will be the first former president to stand trial in a criminal case.

“This is not a crime,” Trump told reporters outside the courtroom, where he argued that the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office filed the charges against him last year to harm his chances of winning the 2024 presidential election.

“This is being run by Joe Biden’s White House,” Trump said. “This is just a way of hurting me in the election.”

Trump is charged in the case with falsifying business records related to a $130,00 payment his then-lawyer Michael Cohen gave porn star Stormy Daniels shortly before the 2016 election in exchange for her silence about her alleged sexual tryst with the then-Republican presidential nominee.

Former US President Donald Trump waves as he departs Trump Tower on his way to Manhattan Criminal Court in New York City on February 15, 2024. 

Yuki Iwamura | AFP | Getty Images

Trump, who denies having sex with Daniels, has pleaded not guilty to 34 felony charges in the Manhattan Supreme Court case.

His trial is scheduled to begin March 25.

Trump’s lawyers argue that he is the victim of selective prosecution, one of the bases of his motion to dismiss the case.

This is developing news. Check back for updates.

Read more CNBC politics coverage



Source link

About The Author

Scroll to Top